Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day!

Here is a shout out to all the mommas out there that are doing their job! Before I was a mom I had no idea of what it meant to really enjoy the little things in life. I thought having a college degree or a lovely house was the most you could want to achieve in your life to be proud of. After having my daughter, I have realized that if my daughter can be proud to have me as her mother then I have an accomplishment that will not only extend my life but hers as well. Motherhood is so hard because it is not a job you can learn to do well, it is not a job where you will receive a quarterly review or accolades or promotions, however, it is so important that it is done right for not only the sake of your children but for their children as well. What i mean by 'right" is trying your best to do the best that you can. Running that last mile in the 25 k run - only that last mile is always right out in front of you, but always having that extra energy and drive to want to finish first. It doesn't mean you will, but to feel like you can even when your down. This is what's it's like to be a "mother". We are shaping lives and in doing so teaching our children what they should expect and deserve for themselves for their lives. This direction was never given to me by my own mother. Being a "good mom" in my eyes is not about being perfect but instead in trying the hardest you can to do the best you can and always thinking in the best interest of your child. I use the words "good mom" loosely because I desire to be "great" at this "job" and luckily I have many moms to look at for inspiration. I know I will not always be liked and I know that I will have many decisions ahead of me that will not be easy to make, but I also know that when I die, I will be able to say, with conviction, "I was a good mom" and what I mean by this is that I tried my hardest to do the best for my child. I certainly hope my daughter will be able to say it about me too. This is definitely not a "job" for the weak or the faint of heart, but I can certainly say that my heart was never as full as it was today and I have never been more honored to be able to hold the title as CEO of my own company "Mom".

1 comment:

Spence Ohana said...

Well said Windy. Well said. :-)