Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mother's Day Campout






Ok so being the dork that I am, I bought a ticket to go to the Mother's Day campout at the San Diego Zoo. After receiving the confirmation via email I noticed that it said that we needed to bring sleeping bags. When I called to find out why they said that they provided cots inside tents and we would be sleeping on our sleeping bags on the cots. Well my comrade in this whole thing, my friend Amy, is four months prego right now and she planned to go with me. Just to be sure she called again the night before the sleepover to confirm this peculiar cot situation. As with the cot situation we were already tense because she is prego and already has trouble sleeping. well they told her they provided tents only. We sort of assumed that they meant like permanent tents like small cabins or something. We were especially surprised when we got to the "campsite" only to find tents that would be too small for one, I repeat, one, six foot tall man. We really about shit ourselves and started cracking up. I decided to take a picture of all our stuff next to this teeny tiny tent. We let the idea sink in and decided to have a good time nonetheless. There were some very interesting night walks we got to go on and some fun "mom" games they had planned for us so all in all the night went well. That is until we were supposed to go to sleep. The "zoo" noises that we thought we would hear like lions, elephants, etc were instead replaced by Amy Winehouse and an ambulance. Why?, you ask. Well simply because we were "camping" out next to a Middle School that was having a dance and we were a couple blocks from a hospital. So essentially between the music and the sirens and of course about 5 pee trips, not just Amy but me too since I used not only mine, but her drink tickets as well. Yeah, 3 Coronas and a bathroom 500 yards away outside the sleeping bag - not such a good idea. Anyhow, the funniest part of the evening was at our 4 am pee trip when we were washing our hands. This lady comes out of the toilet, hair all ratted, missing several teeth, she walks up to us and asks, "So, you guys having fun?" I'm like thinking to myself I haven't even slept yet and even if I was having a good time I don't want to talk about it now. So I go "Uh what?, um yeah", and I walk out. Amy said it was so funny because it was so obvious that I was bothered by someone striking up a convo at 4 am. Anyway we actually had a blast despite minor sleeping inconveniences but next year I'll think we'll be doing massages at the spa instead. Thanks Amy for being such a good sport - even prego and thanks to Ry for taking care of the mini-me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very happy to see you taking nights like this for your self. It truly does refresh your soul and I believe will make you a much better mom. However you are correct. in your next venture out please make sure you are in an acutal room and perhaps even room service is offered.

Spence Ohana said...

Wow look at you all adventurous! I don't believe I've ever had a night away from the kiddos. What an interesting choice you made of yours - LOL! No really, what a neat idea. But ya, massages at the spa sound more to my liking!!!

Chiloe said...

You right: a day at the spa should be so relaxing and more comfortable !! lol Anyway, it was a fun idea to spend mother's day ;-)

Stitcher S said...

Great recap of an interesting 'night at the zoo'. You are a great sport.

In the future I would be happy to let you and Amy camp in the backyard. We have plenty of cats, a large wolflike creature, and many wild birds. In fact, one night we had a raccoon in our yard. :) On top of that, we have a shower.

Love to you!
Auntie
PS Finally have internet again. None for days and days...it was missed!

Matheson Family said...

I am bent over laughing. I can totally imagine how funny it would have been. I do feel bad for Amy. Sounds like fun overall but yes, go to a spa next year. Sign me up too. =)