Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's The Neighborly Thing To Do



Okay so, everyone has a dog on their street that incessantly barks to the point of no return and perhaps you ignore it... or perhaps, like me, you picture yourself jumping a ten foot wall and putting a nuzzle on the animal and bringing it over to your house where it will be properly cared for. You all know who this dog belongs to. It's not hard to tell. It is your neighbor that has 5 children or perhaps the one with the newborn baby, you know the family that has absolutlely no business getting a dog in the first place. No, not to be mean but it is simply because they have neither the time or concern to care for it . Let me tell you a story .......Picture it, Sicily .. (sorry, had to for the Golden Girls fans-all 2 of them). Actually, it was this afternoon and Hannah was down for a nap, so I decided to do one of my favorite things, which is to garden. I know it sounds wierd but I love the idea of thinking about nothing and caring for plants. It's sort of like the whole bird-watching thing. You either get it or you don't. Anyhow, here I am ready to get my peaceful thing on and, as soon as I kneel down, I see a car pull out of the driveway across the street. Not a mintue later it starts. BARK! BARK!, BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! . At first I think that it is because the people just left, but no, it continues the entire time I am gardening so instead of thinking of beautiful blooming succulents I have masochistic visions of what I want to do to this poor animal, scratch that, these poor owners. You see, you know your dog, you know if you can leave your dog in the backyard and if it will not bark when you go. If you don't know this please leave your house immediately and walk down the street and see if it barks. Because while you are peacefully going on your morning jog, or sipping a cup of coffee at the nearest Starbucks, your dog could be ruining the 30 peacful mintues your neighbor has today. I hearby declare the day of February 20th, national Give a S**t About Your Neighbors Day. On this day, owners please give a s**t about your dogs(scratch that -neighbors). In the words of Deval Patrick, I mean Barack Obama, "Ask not what your neighbor can do for you, ask what you can do for your neighbor". Words, just words.

3 comments:

Spence Ohana said...

Ugh! I totally know what you're talking about. 2 neighbors down the dog would bark all through the night, and they would just leave it outside. And then 5 neighbors down, somehow their dog always manages to escape their house, run to our culdesac and terrorize our kids. Then for some reason it takes them 10-15 minutes to realize their dog isn't home and to come retrieve him. Sigh.

Stitcher S said...

Then there are those of us who leave their 80 lb 'babies' inside when we go to work, especially on cold mornings.

sarahmhandley said...

What the heck kind of dog is that?! It looks vicious!!