Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Thankful Thursday - My Country 'Tis of Thee

I do not consider myself overly patriotic but my thankful Thursday for this week does come from a love for my country. I am thankful to live in a country where my daughter will have every opportunity she can imagine within her reach. She will have an education, books to read, a warm place to lay her head at night, and will have the freedom to vote for who she would like to see as president of her country. We, including me, take so many rights for granted in this country. It is simply because we know of no other way. Alot of people say they won't vote in the next election if it is two people that they do not like. It is hard for me to understand this because in so many countries, people, especially women, do not even have the right to vote, let alone, have the opportunity to actually run for president. I am so glad my daughter will be raised in a country where it does not matter what family you came from, the color of your skin, or your sex, you can become anything you want to if you put your mind to it and work hard. Whether you like Hillary Clinton or not, I am glad I will be able to tell my daughter she was born during a time when a woman actually was able to raise the funds and be taken seriously enough to run for president of this country. Women have only been permanently granted the right to vote since 1920, and I am so glad to see how far we have come. I can only imagine what my own daughter will get to experience in the next 100 years.

3 comments:

Spence Ohana said...

All so very true.

I look at it like this, even if you don't like either - at least vote for the lesser of 2 evils! ;-)

Stitcher S said...

Very true!

Anonymous said...

This is so true! No excuses, vote!Love the blog, I'm going to try the tilapia I have some frozen that I just did not know what to do with it.