Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Somewhat Healthy Banana Bread

Since i am always looking for recipes that use up old bananas here is a bread recipe I whipped up this evening by combining 3 other recipes. I thought it turned out pretty tasty.

2 1/4 Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup low fat sour cream or you could use plain yogurt
2 tbsp canola oil
4 egg whites
4 large ripe bananas
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Heat oven to 350. Spray bundt pan with non stick spray. You could also use 2 loaf pans. Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend 2 minutes on low speed. Beat 3 more minutes on high and pour into bundt pan. Bake approx 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. if you use 2 loaf pans bake for about 50 minutes.

I really wanted to find a recipe which uses no sugar but a lot of them are replaced with applesauce or all Splenda. I do not like regular Splenda but the brown sugar is great for baking because it is a mix of real brown sugar and Splenda together so you only use half but it doesn't taste so artificial. Also, all the Banana Bread recipes I have tasted that use applesauce only taste really bland. If anyone has a good one please let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a great recipe for banana bread I'll have to pass on to you sometime. I keep old bananas in my freezer (they look scary when they turn black, but they are totally safe)and then throw them in my recipe when I have people stay for the weekend. I am a self proclaimed health nut and use to be addicted to splenda until I researched it and all artificial sweetners and it is pretty scarry.

Stitcher S said...

I like the title...'somewhat healthy'. That's like my little ditty about 'almost always' when it comes to how you write letters. It's genetic, can't be avoided.

Spence Ohana said...

I have a good one, but mine uses a TON of sugar. :-)